Today, The Franklin Institute holds the distinction of being Pennsylvania’s most visited museum.
In 1824, the Franklin Institute opened in Independence Hall to honor Benjamin Franklin and his inventiveness.
In 1934, with the construction of the current building and the adjacent Fels Planetarium, it became a hands-on science museum.
Today, it holds the distinction of being Pennsylvania’s most visited museum. In the museum’s rotunda, a 20-foot-tall marble statue pays homage to the institute’s eponymous scientist and Founding Father.